MAILBOX MIXTAPES

You send me anonymous mixes. I listen. Think of it as the PostSecret of mixtapes.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Tape 2/Side 2

Tape 2/Side 2/Track 1

OK, so this tape has a side 2 and it isn’t the Ramones. I don’t know who this is. Someone grungy, but not in a good way. Punky grungy. Bad Pearl Jam meets bad Nirvana. I don’t know what this is, but I already hate it. Missy, you’re killing me.

This guy is definitely going for a Cobain thing with the voice. Oy.

Track 2

I can already tell this is just one artist/band. COME ON Missy!! You know what, this isn’t Missy. Missy wouldn’t do this to me. This is Bill or Bob or Rod or Ron. Shame on you, Bill. This isn’t creative at all.

OK, so this band is almost certainly from the mid to late 90’s. Filled with unbelievable angst (as in, I don’t believe this guy is actually filled with angst). I think he is saying, “Sharon comes down now.” Or he is demanding that Sharon come down. And he means NOW. Sharon, no kidding, I’d stay in your room.

Track 3

Oh man, it just gets worse. Rod, you have the worst taste ever. I think he’s yelling, “Like my Aunt Tilly’s brain!” This makes no sense to me and yet disturbs me to no end.

I think he just said something about cotton candy.

He may be saying “explain” and not “-ly’s brain.” Ok then, explain. Because I am annoyed and confused.

Track 4

Wait. This song sounds familiar. Is it just because it sounds like the 90’s? What is this song?

“Up up up is down, turn turn turn around” and etc. Surely Google can help me now.

Google is no help. I think he is singing about “Saltines in the bedroom.”

“Saltines” may be “sometimes”

Track 5

Ho. Ly. Crap. This is “Molly’s Lips”. Which means this isn’t bad Nirvana, this is Nirvana. And I love Nirvana. But I was less than digging those first 3 songs. I’m not sure what to make of you, Rod, except that you may still be Missy.

Shinola. The tape just shredded in the player. That’s what I get for badmouthing Nirvana. Sorry Missy. Sorry Kurt. This tape is no more.

I can only assume that this is a sampling of Nirvana songs not featured on LPs. The world may never know.

2 comments:

summer anne burton said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OlxKVa7BHA

which is also a cover of the vaselines, like molly's lips.

Kester Smith... said...

This is the track from the tape! Thanks for sending. I never owned Incesticide, but I'm thinking this tape must have simply been that album transfered to tape.

Poor Missy, only knows how to record albums to tape. I was really hoping for more.